The German School of Tallahassee was started in 2004 by Dr. Hans Plendl along with other people in the Tallahassee community who wanted a German language resource to be available for people in the area.
Our founding director Dr. Plendl (photo to the right) emigrated to the US from Germany in 1947 when he was 20 along with his parents and brothers and sisters. He started his career at FSU in 1957 after receiving his doctorate in Physics from Yale University, Besides teaching and research in Physics, he taught course on Astronomy, and courses for the Humanities Department on the relationship between science and society. Dr. Plendl served as director of the German School from 2004 until his death in 2018. We are grateful for the dedication and work of Dr. Plendl in starting the school and guiding and directing it for 14 years.
Following Dr. Plendl's passing, his son Konrad Plendl took over as director and kept the school going with the help of volunteers and dedicated teachers.
In 2020, the school went online due to the COVID-19 virus. Since the online courses have been convenient for students, we will continue to offer them for now but may return to in-person classes in the future.